While the PC version of Sonic Generations has already been released on digital services like Steam worldwide, those without a credit card or Paypal haven’t been able to buy it yet. If you’re one of those people and live in Europe, you’re in luck. SEGA has announced that the physical version will be released on November 25th, the same day as the 3DS version. Australia will be getting it as well, but no date has been announced as of yet. There will be no retail release in the US or Japan and it uses Steamworks, so you’ll have to install Steam to be able to play it.
The PC version is probably the best version to get if you have the hardware to run it and a gamepad. Besides having prettier graphics and higher resolutions, it has a cheaper price-tag and it runs at 60 frames per second. However, besides a few minor issues some people with ATI cards or laptops with Optimus Technology have reported problems with running the game, so those may want to look for a workaround or wait for a patch or driver update before purchasing it.
For those that already have the game on PC, a patch weighing at 28.5MB recently got released on Steam. It fixes issues like not being able to drift when using the keyboard and the Shop menu being unresponsive at low frame rates. More details can be found in the patch notes:
Updates to Sonic Generations have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:
– USA flag is now correctly displayed in Online Mode.
– Fixed an issue where the Shop menu would become unresponsive at low frame rates.
– More accurate timing clock to 60Hz—may fix some issues with fluctuant frame rates.
– Updated default keyboard layout.
– Keyboard controls now correctly support drift.
– Screen display has been sharpened when AA is disabled.
– Users of NVIDIA Optimus graphics cards may experience an issue where the Configuration Tool fails to detect the Optimus card. NVIDIA are working on fixing the problem, and will get an update out shortly, during the next driver release window.
– If you experience any other problems, please contact [email protected] with details. To help us identify and fix the issue, please provide as much information as possible on your PC hardware, and the issue that you’re experiencing.
[Via Sonic Stadium and Steam]
well thanks god for the xbox 360 and ps3
So that’s why I never found it at stores, I thought the physical PC copy was already out along with the Steam version, well I managed to get it from Steam anyway!
The fact the PC version got patched, and the fact they acknowladged some bugs regarding hardware issues, makes me wonder if other patches will be released in the future. That would be pretty sweet actually!
Also hopes for DLC. If that’s no option… ;-;
Since I use an Xbox controller to play my PC games, will it still work for Sonic Generations downloaded off Steam?
Yes, the PC version supports the Xbox 360 controller, as do most games released on PC these days.
How would you even play on a keyboard?
I’ve played through the genesis ones on a keyboard, works fine. With the newer games that use anolog control for movement, you do lose that bit of control, but even though I’ve got a gamepad, I still find myself using the D-pad most of the time. The only game I liked anolog controls on was the unofficial Sonic Robo 2
It’s December 2; I should hope they release that fix for NVIDIA graphics cards by Christmas, as many people will want the game as a Christmas gift.