Disappearing as quickly as it arrived, German gaming site Giga.de posted up a video I’m guessing they weren’t supposed to – a 28 minute playthrough of the upcoming Sonic Generations, coming across the globe in the early days of November, 2011. Featuring Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, and City Escape, the video also includes extensive footage of the hub world and the glorious Metal Sonic boss fight. Sure, everything they are saying is in German, and it was taken down probably because of an embargo (which means this video here might disappear later on), but in the words of Retro admin Cinossu, “boy is it a lovely 28 minutes.”
Although it should be obvious, this video is chock-full of spoilers. So if you want to stay completely in the dark, you’ll want to avoid the video and everything else below.
For all of the juicy bits explained in text form, Cinossu has also gone ahead and detailed them below. So thank him for this post.
– The overworld is essentially just white with spots for each level, challenge, boss, etc. As you get into each level’s area a special map-version of its music plays.
– Around the levels are what looks like warp rings, for challenges as far as I can gather from the video, as well as the bosses for each. It seems once you get them you can play them at any time.
– Before all of this on the map is the ‘Collection Room’. You have access to sections labelled ‘Movies’, ‘Music’, ‘Art’ and ‘Characters’. A lot appears to be locked out in this, probably meaning it’s what all those points at the end of each level unlock. It plays a mix of Sonic 3‘s File Select / Sonic Jam‘s Museum music and Chaotix‘s Door into Summer here.
– Outside each level is one of Sonic’s ‘friends’ (I assume this only happens after you beat the level or find them)..
* Classic Tails is outside Green Hill
* Modern Amy is outside Chemical Plant
* Modern Knuckles is outside Sky Sanctuary
* Cream is outside Speed Highway
* Rouge is outside City Escape
* Espio is outside Seaside Hill
– Modern Chemical Plant seems to be getting destroyed by Modern Sonic, with it falling apart and catching on fire as the level progresses towards the end.
– Metal Sonic’s battle does happen in Chemical Plant, and has Stardust Speedway‘s Japanese Bad Future music mixed in the Classic Sonic style they have for everything else in Generations.
Oh man that Metal Sonic battle. Be honest, who didn’t want to actually fight Metal while they were racing him? And even he has personality! And who doesn’t love a bit of love for the game Chaotix? Door Into Summer forever, baby.
Cinossu EDIT @ 19:33 GMT: Changed the video to a new working one (for now), and fixed a lovely typo in my quote.IPttldyDZlkoH oYDEvW WUQ