Speed Demos Archive and Speed Runs Live are teaming up once again this year for Summer Games Done Quick 2014. A charity event hosted by speed runners to help the less fortunate starting today and airs nonstop until the 29th. Once again they’re raising funds for Doctors Without Borders and continue to offer incentives by voting for certain content as well as offering prizes.
You can expect a much bigger turnout for SEGA games this year. With the likes of Jet Set Radio HD, MadWorld, Super Monkey Ball 2, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Disney’s Aladdin, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Tails’ Adventures, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, NiGHTS into Dreams, El Viento and many more.
You can watch the stream on the SDA Twitch channel, check out the schedule, ogle the list of prizes, and of course, check out their main site on how you can send your contribution to charity.
Also somebody is running Gex: Enter the Gecko on Nintendo 64. I can’t be the only guy that actually enjoyed the game, right?
NiGHTS Into Dreams
An extended version of the Gamescom 2013 trailer for Sonic Lost World was just uploaded, showcasing the Deadly Six edition featuring exclusive content at the end. This exclusive content being bosses taken straight out of the classic SEGA Saturn game: NiGHTS Into Dreams.
Just watch the last 12 seconds of this trailer to see them in action. This special edition will only be available for pre-order and while stocks last.
Here in America, it’s Martin Luther King Jr’s Day. It’s also Inauguration Day for President Obama. If you’re a Fox Newscaster, today is probably the worst day of your life. But for everyone else, t’s an action packed day to let you guys know the up and up on whats been going on in today’s Monday Links. Oh man, whats that?
- The Sonic Hacking Contest for 2013 is underway! Deadline for submission is July 31st 2013. [Sonic Hacking Contest]
- The Sonic 2 Beta Pirate Carts have been obtained by forum user egel [Sonic 2 Pirate Carts Found]
- Sonic Fan Remix creator has been working on The 90’s Arcade Racer which is reminiscent of Daytona USA and has a Kickstarter [The 90’s Arcade Racer]
- The Sonic inspired game Freedom Planet also has it’s own Kickstarter page. You can download the demo to play it if you haven’t already. [Freedom Planet]
- David continues his trek through Mobius – 25 Years Later. [Ken Penders]
Sonic & SEGA News
- Sonic fan site Shadow of a Hedgehog is no longer which was popular for Sonic downloads. Pour one out for them, won’t you? [Goodbye to SoaH City]
- Project X Zone, the Sega/Capcom/Namco crossover game is slated for release in North America and Europe [Project X Zone]
- NiGHTS into Dreams, Jet Set Radio and House of the Dead OVERKILL: Extended Cut on sale for Sony’s 13 for ’13 Promotion [PSN’s 13 for ’13]
- Ikaruga now available for Android devices. [Google Play]
- The Cave from Ron Gilbert is out this week. [Double Fiiiiine]
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is out on 3DS this Feburary [Late Finish]
- It also has exclusive characters for the PC version. [Shoguns, Football Managers and Team Fortress]
It’s New Year’s Eve. Not exactly a whole lot going on in terms of video games, Sega or Sonic the Hedgehog even. But hey, the world hasn’t ended yet! This year certainly has been full of surprises for everyone, including us here at Sonic & Sega Retro. We hope to see you in the new year. In the meantime, there’s still plenty to go around in terms of news and whats happening.
Sonic Retro News
- Another Christmas with Sonic arrives after Christmas. It’s not 2013 yet, so there is still time for some holiday cheer. [Youtube]
- Project AXSX is giving a New Year update on their progress. [Youtube]
- Say that stream featuring the Unleashed-to-Generations mod was pretty keen last week. It’s all there, Wireheads and Magic Knights and all on our account. [Twitch]
- Now we know who to blame for why the Game Grumps are playing through Sonic 06. This remix of them thinking about playing it is a great idea. [Youtube]
- 8-4 Play’s Podcast interviews programmer Gregg Tavares about his life and times working at various companies, including his time at SEGA, working conditions, Zombie Revenge and more. [Giant Bomb Presents 8-4 Play]
- The GameCube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has updated to include GCN Broadband adapter support. Besides enabling LAN play for Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, 1080 Avalanche and Kirby Air Ride, this includes support for playing Phantasy Star Onine Episode 1 & 2 and Episode 3 C.A.R.D. Revolution. There are still active homebrew servers available and are fully functional for both players emulating through Dolphin or playing on actual GameCube units. This is true cross-platform play. [Emulation]
- Do you still not have Sonic Generations on Steam? GreenManGaming has it for 75% off. You can then take 30% off that price with this code: GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 [GreenManGaming]
- Voice acting is the most important element of game design. Jason Griffith plays a character in the latest entry of the multi-award million dollar selling military shooter. [Modern Combat]
Why not kill two birds with one stone? Sega released the Steam (PC) version of their Sega Heritage version of NiGHTS into Dreams today. This also features the update seen on the console versions that adds 24 points of analog control for the same price as their other Heritage Releases. You can also have a glimpse of the original versions of these games on our Youtube channel. Also this week is the release of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for Playstation Vita in US stores and the Playstation Store on the Sony Network on the 18th for $29.99
Perhaps we should make this a regular feature for Sonic & Sega releases. We’d have like a list of the games with info pages attached to look something like this…
- [Steam] NiGHTS into Dreams (2012-12-17)
- [Playstation Vita] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (2012-12-18)
With just a little over a week until the Wii U version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed will be sold in stores in the US, a launch trailer for this edition has been put out showcasing various things you can do on the fancy new Wii U that you can’t do on any of those other consoles. Footage of courses based on NiGHTS Into Dreams, Billy Hatcher and Jet Set Radio are also shown.
Besides this there’s also more news on this game from the past few week we
were too lazy to report on forgot to make front page posts about. Trailers showing Wreck-It Ralph and Danica Patrick in the game were released, the 3DS and PSVita versions have been delayed until December and the PC version will be released sometime after the console versions as well. The achievements were unveiled and we got about half an hour of gameplay footage here. I think that’s about it. If you live in Europe you’ll have to wait until November 30th if you want to get the Wii U version but the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions will be released just one week from now on November 16th. If you live in the US these versions will be released a few days later on November 20th, except for Wii U which will come out on November 18th.
Later today the Retro crew are going to be hosting a Sega Heritage Collection showcase. We’ve been in contact with Ben K. as to when we can show the games off, and he was kind to let us know that we can go ahead and show off all three games as of this week.
We’ll be taking a look at Nights into Dreams, Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2. You can expect our fond recollections of all three games and an exploration of each game’s features before their release date. Well, except for Jet Set Radio, you can get that now on Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade and Steam. But if you’re still on the fence about any of these titles, be sure to check out our livestream later today at 4PM. You can also check back here for a direct link to the feed as well.
Mark your calendars: the HD ports of Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS into Dreams will be coming your way in early October. PSN users can expect to pick up Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS on Oct. 2 for $9.99 each while XBLA users can get their turn on Oct. 5 for 800 Microsoft Points.
On top of that, SA2’s Battle DLC, which adds more multiplayer maps, characters, and Chao Karate, will be available on release for an extra $2.99/240MSP. Those who purchase NiGHTS will get access to the original Christmas NiGHTS extra content at no additional cost. It’s unknown if this will include the Sonic portion of the game, but all signs from the PS2 port of NiGHTS point to very unlikely.
SEGA just released a trailer showcasing the three upcoming digital re-releases of Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS Into Dreams and Sonic Adventure 2, which are all being released under the SEGA Heritage label. The video shows that all games will also feature video interviews with it’s developers.
It also confirms that Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS Into Dreams will be coming to Steam, Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network in October. According to the Xbox Live leak back from June the Sonic Adventure 2 port will be released on October 3rd, 2012, so it’s somewhat safe to assume that it will be released then.
Greetings from the show floor. Or rather, from the couch in the house of a great friend as I wearily type out this information as I get up. Been out and about at the Penny Arcade Expo, and I’m ready to bang out some tidbits from the show floor while sipping from my pipe mug courtesy of $35 and fangamer.net. What follows is some general news as well as game impressions from some of the games on the show floor as well as a small sampling of pictures I took. Lets also not forget…
Retro Community Meet-Up Reminder
Hey now, Seattle is NOT that cold. Plus the community meet up is later today at noon. Don’t forget the details and come check in with other community members and staff. That goes for you too, ShadeVortex.