UPDATE: Taxman has confirmed on our forums that he and Stealth are the ones behind this new version. He has also said that there’ll be the usual improvements and fan service like with his updated version of Sonic CD. So you can expect some good stuff from this.
Fresh from Game Developers Conference, Sega is dropping some hot news for mobile development. Namely the appearance of the original Sonic the Hedgehog on iOS and Android devices for $2.99. No release date has been revealed at this point, however it is going to be granted additional features. Not only will there be a rock solid framerate matching the widescreen display, you’re also getting Time Attack modes and a remastered soundtrack as well. Its possible that this could be rebuilt using the Retro engine as evidenced by this tweet from Taxman himself:
There are also rumblings that Sonic 2 may also see a similar re-release. In the meantime, Sega has also announced mobile editions of Puzzle Pirates, House of the Dead: Overkill – The Lost Files and Godsrule. Puzzle Pirates is set for release within Spring of this year, while the others are To Be Decided. Be sure to check out the gallery below for a first glimpse at each of these titles.
[Source: Android Police, The Sonic Stadium, Sega-Press]
Here in America, it’s Martin Luther King Jr’s Day. It’s also Inauguration Day for President Obama. If you’re a Fox Newscaster, today is probably the worst day of your life. But for everyone else, t’s an action packed day to let you guys know the up and up on whats been going on in today’s Monday Links. Oh man, whats that?
- The Sonic Hacking Contest for 2013 is underway! Deadline for submission is July 31st 2013. [Sonic Hacking Contest]
- The Sonic 2 Beta Pirate Carts have been obtained by forum user egel [Sonic 2 Pirate Carts Found]
- Sonic Fan Remix creator has been working on The 90’s Arcade Racer which is reminiscent of Daytona USA and has a Kickstarter [The 90’s Arcade Racer]
- The Sonic inspired game Freedom Planet also has it’s own Kickstarter page. You can download the demo to play it if you haven’t already. [Freedom Planet]
- David continues his trek through Mobius – 25 Years Later. [Ken Penders]
Sonic & SEGA News
- Sonic fan site Shadow of a Hedgehog is no longer which was popular for Sonic downloads. Pour one out for them, won’t you? [Goodbye to SoaH City]
- Project X Zone, the Sega/Capcom/Namco crossover game is slated for release in North America and Europe [Project X Zone]
- NiGHTS into Dreams, Jet Set Radio and House of the Dead OVERKILL: Extended Cut on sale for Sony’s 13 for ’13 Promotion [PSN’s 13 for ’13]
- Ikaruga now available for Android devices. [Google Play]
- The Cave from Ron Gilbert is out this week. [Double Fiiiiine]
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is out on 3DS this Feburary [Late Finish]
- It also has exclusive characters for the PC version. [Shoguns, Football Managers and Team Fortress]