So, if the Sonic Generations demo has dropped in your locale and/or platform of choice, you’ve probably had time to see the improvements to the engine and performance that have been made since the first demo came out–and they’re very encouraging, indeed.
However, that’s not really the fun part of getting a demo: getting new code to tear apart is. We found spoilers; they’re under the break. You’ve been warned.
Everyone’s, erherm, favorite character, Omochao, returns for Generations, and the voice clips bundled in the demo give some insight into final gameplay. We’ve decided to spare you from having to listen to them (as they’re pretty bad) and just list the better bits.
- In levels with Tails, you press the Y button to call him to you, similar to how the elemental shields were shown with Y in that one screenshot. It’s likely all those little powerup icons we saw are things you can use with Y.
- You can call Espio in a fashion similar to Tails. He has a grappling hook.
- There’s also the ability to call Vector. He throws you to locations.
- A team-up mission with Amy is included; she gives you the hammer jump.
- There’s a team-up mission with Cream in a level with no rings. The only way to get rings is to call on Cream to throw you some.
- There’s a treasure hunt for buried metals. You call Knuckles, who digs into the the ground for you.
- Rouge team-up: heavily armored robots block you–call on Rouge to take them out.
- Blaze team-up: the level has walls of flame which Blaze can extinguish.
- Charmy team-up: …he can make a vortex at your feet. What?
- The Tails race is with Tails in a plane.
- In the race with Knuckles, he will burrow underground to chea–er, use his unique abilities to take shortcuts.
- Rouge tries to stop you with bombs in her race.
- There’s an Espio fight in which you have to shine a spotlight to find him while he’s invisible.
- “Collect 10 Chao and reach the goal before Cream!” (…explains itself.)
- There are time trials that have powerups that give you more time.
- The doppleganger race is not against the other era version; it’s essentially a ghost race, complete with translucency.
- In the challenges with the giant enemies you just knock them over instead of killing them, but then they can be used as platforms.
- The icon with the motobug and the ring is for Ring Time, which changes all enemies into rings (presumably for just a few seconds.)
- There are apparently challenge missions with multiple animal capsules, where Sonic has to release all of them.
- There’s a mission where Sonic has to carry the sign post to the end and knock it around, presumably like the end of Sonic 3 Act 1s where you could juggle it. The player has to knock it to the end of the level without it falling into pits.
- There are single-ring challenge missions.
- Jump panels are in at least one challenge act, presumably as in Sonic Adventure.
- There’s a time trial in which your boost meter is 3 times the size of normal but it doesn’t replenish. That explains the “300% Boost” seen earlier.
Once again, we have music rips of the files included with the demo:
- “Network”, which is a remix of the menu from Sonic Mega Collection
- Results (Normal)
- Results (S Rank)
- “Precious Time”, which is a heavily shortened remix take on the Special Stage from Knuckles’ Chaotix
- “Time Break”, which is similar to Cyber Track from Sonic Advance 3
- Game Over (remix from Sonic 3 and Knuckles)
- and of course, that ending medley.
The demo also has a quite different updated version of that options menu theme from the first demo. You can grab the music in 320 kbps here.
(Apparently our man Hinchy went solo on this excursion, so if you see him, tell him thanks!)
Man, you guys are FRIGGIN’ QUICK!
I dropped a tear in the end of that medley.
Really want THAT cutscene to happen.
Am I the only one thinking “Borning” and “Meh… So what?” to all this news? Kinda same old same old in a way…
Wow, that was fast. I actually heard the ending medley before this article. It’s the perfect way to end this game.
Already?But the demo is not for tomorrow?How did anyone got it before and hacked the info?
No, it came out yesterday.
I’m not sure what to say to this. Everyone knows it was released October 18 for 360.
I knew music was coming. Loved them btw those are all the tracks found or there are still more music to come?
Sometimes I wonder if SEGA wants to smash your peoples faces in sometimes XD
Dat ending melody….shit, gotta go change my pants.
You’re not the only one
Looks like there’s no Mighty…
Wonder if there are any other music/model files
Is that all the music available? dang I though there was more to it. But oh well, UP AND DOWN AND ALL AROUND!
I don’t understand why you hate Charmy so much SS?
That said, I’m glad Rouge got her bombs back, I know I’m in the minority here but I thought throwing bombs really fits her personality, and cool I finally get to kick that ninja’s butt, J/K Espio is cool 🙂
Oh and thanks to whoever ripped the music 🙂
wow you people work fast
(points at website name) :3
So much for Sonic only….downloading the demo now
“Charmy team-up: …he can make a vortex at your feet. What?”
Might be his powers from the original manga where he comes from, time manipulation :P.
Just a cameo in City Escape, as other “obscure” characters.
Just played the demo. It’s awesome!!! Downsides however are the homing-attack button switched from X to A and chao giving you childish explaination every seconds of the demo. Other then that, it’s awesome… Modern time is: 2.04.05, any good?
For the love of God, please be the 3DS version. This partner mechanic flies in the face of all the info I’ve gotten about the console version. If not, I’m now afraid this’ll be another Sonic Heroes, or at least Sonic Advance 3.
…it’s the console version. They’re side missions meaning you don’t HAVE to do them.
It’s obviously the console version. Why would it be the 3DS version?
Thought it was awesome, this morning.
I’m now listening with my big headphones on.
It’s, at least, 18 times better!!
(except City Escape.. it still sounds a little out of place, which is odd ‘cos it’s actually one of my favourites..)
Thank god they’re only side missions. I don’t mind that nearly as much.
Well, at some point yes… But you do want to complete the game and it’s achievements. Just like with SA1&2 you had to do those annoying side-characters to unlock the final chapter.
I just don’t get why sega did this. They promise us no playable other characters but in stead we GET THEM ALL! What kind of ripp-off is that? However, I keep my trust it won’t be that annoying, but it are signs, just like that annoying chao in the new demo, that this game might be the next unleashed. I really hope the collectors edition proofs different.
gosh,that was fast. Gezz,no wonder sega it´s a troll! xD Here where i live it´s 16:22 when its 16:30 im going to download SG
I’m…not sure what you mean by what you said at all. The other characters are showing up, but you’re not playing as them. If you were to have a game about 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog and not include the other characters, something would be wrong. Besides, having more the one playable character has never been the issue. The issue has been Sega trying to cram in as many characters as possible and try to make them all play differently, yet not spending enough time refining their gameplay. Having multiple characters in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure worked very well. In games like Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006…not so much.
THANK YOU, David the Lurker! I have never understood why everyone takes their frustrations out on the CHARACTERS instead of the developers who created their poor gameplay or the writers who wrote their horrible dialogue. Good actors, good writers, good gameplay mechanics are all these characters need to be as loved as Sonic. I think their character designs are wonderful and the potential is there to have a great supporting cast, if they are just used properly (as I believe they were in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood).
They’re optional anyway, so don’t panic.
Will it be possible for a Megaupload link?
Mediafire does not run on some of our browsers.
They are not playable. Its like sonic advance 3 only as missions and just like in advance 3 they have a team action command. Sheesh don’t jump to conclusions so soon.
I kinda disappointed that Classic Sonic’s loop de loop sections are not totally scripted anymore. The game now makes you ether use the spin dash and/or bumper pad. I’m the only fan that actually wants my scripted loop de loops back. Also CS is slower in this build. MC I’m kinda indifferent about. I like the whole “boost to win” thing. But ether way I’m still buying this game. ^_^
Awesome!!! Sugoi desu ne!
The team-ups sound pretty cool and I’m looking forward to the music. 🙂
Okay, I am mad…WHERE’S THE PS3 DEMO? I looked all over the Store for it… is it out yet?
PSN users get it on the 25th next week.
Oh, ….. EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE… :'( I guess i’ll just go back to playing Sonic 06. It’s no use…. dang
You can get it by making another PSN account with your region set as UK.
*tears of happyness*
I hope this is true
I think they are going to make dlc packs as in like sonic 2 pack sa2 pack ect.
Just dlc based off each game used.
It makes sense.
I get mission mode.
I liked that in sa2.
If no elf then missions that unlock more levels.
I finally listened to the music and all I gotta say is AMAZING!!!! The ending song is HOLY!!! I can die in peace now.
Time Break is more like Chaos Control (Slow Version) from ShTH I think.
YOU DON’T PLAY AS THE OTHER CHARACTERS!!!! you call on them to help get through certain sections of the stage on the SIDE MISSIONS. As said “Sonic is the only playable character.” In no way do you take control of any of them. (apart from where you call tails to fly you to the next area of that level by pressing A or X)
No one said otherwise <_<
So what improvements have been made to the engine? I’m interested.
Maybe Charmy’s teleporting is a reference to the flowers from Sonic Heroes. ?