(Thanks to pkmnexplorer for this week’s “Sonic & Luigi” image, found in a recent Sears catalog.)
Sonic Retro News
- MarkeyJester released a small hack this week ’cause he iz teh gratis. The thing seems like a joke hack but is pretty great. Check it out! [ Pana Der Hejhog ]
- Mercury wrote an extensive piece on reoccuring themes in Masato Nakamura’s compositions for Sonic 1 and 2 and wound up finding some interesting similarities between the Sonic 1 Special Stage theme and Sonic 2‘s unused track 10 music. It’s a longer read, but worth it for fans of the series’ earliest music. [ A Musical Mystery Still Unsolved ]
- Popular music porting software xm4smps received an update to work with XMs created on OpenMPT 1.19+; as a bonus, some of the features which were in development are also shown in this build. [ xm4smps 4.1 ‘beta’ ]
- The Japanese Sonic Generations website was updated this week, but not before learning about some exotic new character when we were promised no more! [ Some fox named Milse ]
- I’m under the impression that some of our readers believe that friendship is magic or something. I’m not really sure what it has to do with Sonic the Hedgehog, or why our member’s-only lounge has a huge thread about ponies, but of course someone somewhere has to combine these two fandoms. [ My Little Mega Drive ]
- Sonic Generations Collector’s Edition was announced last week for European and Australian audiences, but this has left other audiences without a way to purchase the box set. Right now, the best option for North and South American audiences is to go through Amazon UK, who is currently charging 85GBP for a preorder on the game and approximately 10GBP for airmail shipping and customs charges (if applicable for your country.) Keep in mind that this may not be the best deal, but it is the best of what has been announced so far and given the limited run of Collector’s Edition sets, you may want to preorder now. [ Sonic Generations: Collector’s Edition for 360 / Sonic Generations: Collector’s Edition for PS3 ]
- Australian chain GAME is holding a charity auction of games from the Sonic franchise before Sonic Generations‘ release. The kicker? Their presenter, Ed, doesn’t have the 45 games needed to hold a complete auction. If you’re willing to donate a copy, you can get a 50AUD voucher for GAME and a free copy of Generations. [ GAME Australia Embarks on the Amazing Sonic Quest ]
- I heard some sass earlier this week that the just-announced Rhythm Thief would simply be a rip-off of Elite Beat Agents and nothing worth writing home about. Sassers? You’re wrong, and these screenshots and video prove otherwise. [ Nintendo 3DS Conference 2011 ]
- SEGAbits celebrates the 12th anniversary of the Dreamcast this week with a series of articles culminating with a podcast full of DC nostalgia. [ Dreamcast 12th Anniversary ]
- Filed under “I’m not sure if this amazing or terrifying”: modifying kittens to glow in the dark as a way to study molecules that could stop AIDS. [ Glow-in-the-Dark Kittens Lend a Paw to AIDS Fight ]
- It’s sad to think one day kids will have no idea what a dial-up modem sounds like. Good thing these guys are recording for posterity. Kind of. [ Bleeoo ]
- In what appears to be the most useless device ever conceived of, GameStop is developing a branded Android tablet for streaming PC games to, because no other Android tablet could do this without the power of gutting open boxes. [ GameStop Android Tablet of the Day ]
You may think you know what the worst game of all time is: Superman 64? E.T.? Custer’s Revenge? Shadow the Hedgehog (kidding, kidding)? Turns out the answer is a bit more obscure: the annoyingly hard-to-Google On-line for the Commodore CDTV.
I thought Amazon UK wouldn’t ship to the US? I couldn’t get a pre-order in with them because of my address, so I had to settle for Amazon.de :/
I’ve ordered other things from Amazon UK with minimal hassle. It may have just been your address.
At any rate, Amazon DE/FR/IT has the product listed for 100 EUR, which is roughly equivalent.
After attempting to place another pre-order (I just feel more comfortable ordering from a website I can read!) I looked up their policy international shipping. Apparently books, DVDs, and the like are fine, but the US isn’t listed as an acceptable destination for video games/software :/
But hey, if it’s worked for other people, lucky them!
This. Amazon.co.uk doesn’t ship games to the U.S. Sucks as it’s a great deal.
I’m pretty sure the deal is the same on Amazon.de. I was able to put in a pre-order there, and for some reason they are willing to ship the same product to the US.
For shits and giggles I got the my little pony thing just to see. Jesus dick that was scary.
I got this because I thought it was going to be an awesome pony hack :'(
What was that anyways? It look like a demon bird.
Urrgh, I’d do anything just to WATCH that mylittlepony thread! 🙁
Also, that SonGen3ds trailer. Those crosshairs. 🙁
That hack. THAT HACK! 😀
So it’s a ripoff or Rhythm Heaven instead?
Yeah the games were a crossover. My little pony title screen and with Sonic (TAILS DOLL!) WTH! I thought it was the one hack with Rainbow dash! My macs probably cursed now!
@ Whoever posted/made My Little MD: I’m trying to forget Pokemon Creepy Black & Lost Silver. What the fuck is wrong with you? You’re sick, I’d rather get rickroll’d.
“Milse ‘Tails’ Prower” was a misspelling on their part. It should say “Miles ‘Tails’ Prower.”
I’m just an observant nut who points out the obvious. I was thinking about joining this place.
My Little MD did not work for me in Kega Fusion.
Nor Gens/GS. Nothing happens past the title screen. Am I supposed to wait a while, because I waited about 2 minutes and nothing happened.
It’s so great to have a friend in the UK. Now Sonic Collector’s Edition is pre-ordered and will be shipped to Russia.