On our most recent SEGA Channel Retro stream, we got to check out the DLC for the recently released Legend of Zelda Zone for Sonic Lost World. If you think that’s old news, then how about going old school? We also took a look back at SEGA’s attempts at bringing the blue blur to PC with sister site SEGAbits during their Genesis month with a look at Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sonic 3D Blast (Or Flickies Island if you’re THAT guy…) complete with the awkward bonus stages. We even got a look at SEGA Smash Pack 1 and 2 on PC that features an interesting, exclusive screen resolution for the 2 Player VS. mode in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. All this and more is currently rehosted on our YouTube channel. You can also watch the original, uncut stream on our Twitch page here.
Whenever the fire alarm goes off, don’t forget to take the plushies with you.
- In memory of Greg Martin’s passing, forum member Buyatari has scanned in line art he bought from the man himself [Get nostalgic]
- Barry unboxes the Not Enough Rings comic book [It’s ok, it’s a parody]
- Greg Martin, illustrator of Sonic box-arts, has passed away [Rest in peace]
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is now out on iOS and Android [With Ryo Hazuki]
- Here are a bunch of SEGA consoles turned into moe anime girls [JAPAN IS SO WEIRD LOL]
Because only the American release date of a console matters, people decided that today is the 14th anniversary of the Dreamcast. And to celebrate this on Sonic Retro is me: the one staff member that didn’t even know about the Dreamcast until it was already dead! Or you can just take a look at the things SEGAbits is doing, that might also be a viable option. Also we might stream something later today.
- We had some fun with Ruby! [Ground breaking PAX coverage]
- Bartman wrote a preview about Heroki [Actual PAX coverage]
- The latest Swingin’ Report Show features former Official Dreamcast Magazine and Gamespot writers [SEGAbits]
- Phantasy Star Nova was announced at a Japanese Sony press conference today for the Playstation Vita and is being developed by tri-Ace (known for Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate) [SEGAbits]
- Another likely Japan-only game, Yakuza Ishin is coming to the PS3 and PS4 [Youtube]
- A new trailer of Hero Bank was released [Also Japan-only]
- SEGA has some new hardware named Nu, and the first game to use it is Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone [Siliconera]
- The Creative Assembly got Extra Credits to do a video series about Roman history for Total War: Rome II [Youtube]
- The Castle of Illusion remake was released on XBLA, PSN and [Steam]
It’s been awhile since we last did a live stream. Watch us play through a random assortment of Sega Dreamcast games and maybe we’ll go hunt for some sailors while we’re at it.
We’ll be starting the show later today at 10PM GMT. (Or 6PM EST if you prefer.) The stream is over, however you should be able to watch the archived version right here. Or click play on the video above.
While this is a week-long event, the folks behind the Speed Demos Archive are hosting a charity event and hours of video games “Done-quick” live….right now! Even if you’re waiting for Lebron’s film, you’ll recognize some participants such as Da1andonlysonic.
Also if you donate, not only will you be eligible for prizes, you’ll also be able to sway certain campaigns, such as which character you’d like to see played in Sonic 2006. Check out the prizes and schedule here.
Also, hey! It’s for charity! Show some love and fight for a cure for cancer.
It’s New Year’s Eve. Not exactly a whole lot going on in terms of video games, Sega or Sonic the Hedgehog even. But hey, the world hasn’t ended yet! This year certainly has been full of surprises for everyone, including us here at Sonic & Sega Retro. We hope to see you in the new year. In the meantime, there’s still plenty to go around in terms of news and whats happening.
Sonic Retro News
- Another Christmas with Sonic arrives after Christmas. It’s not 2013 yet, so there is still time for some holiday cheer. [Youtube]
- Project AXSX is giving a New Year update on their progress. [Youtube]
- Say that stream featuring the Unleashed-to-Generations mod was pretty keen last week. It’s all there, Wireheads and Magic Knights and all on our account. [Twitch]
- Now we know who to blame for why the Game Grumps are playing through Sonic 06. This remix of them thinking about playing it is a great idea. [Youtube]
- 8-4 Play’s Podcast interviews programmer Gregg Tavares about his life and times working at various companies, including his time at SEGA, working conditions, Zombie Revenge and more. [Giant Bomb Presents 8-4 Play]
- The GameCube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has updated to include GCN Broadband adapter support. Besides enabling LAN play for Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, 1080 Avalanche and Kirby Air Ride, this includes support for playing Phantasy Star Onine Episode 1 & 2 and Episode 3 C.A.R.D. Revolution. There are still active homebrew servers available and are fully functional for both players emulating through Dolphin or playing on actual GameCube units. This is true cross-platform play. [Emulation]
- Do you still not have Sonic Generations on Steam? GreenManGaming has it for 75% off. You can then take 30% off that price with this code: GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 [GreenManGaming]
- Voice acting is the most important element of game design. Jason Griffith plays a character in the latest entry of the multi-award million dollar selling military shooter. [Modern Combat]
Due to low friend requests accepted, Retro staff’s scheduling and among several other issues, we’ll be postponing the Community Day Stream for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. While the numbers are kind of low, make no mistake about it, those of you who sent in friend requests, you guys rock. Seriously. We’ll check back in January to let you know when we’ll reschedule the stream. Especially those of you who are just getting the game for the holidays. If you haven’t already, send a friend request to VidyaRetro on Playstation 3, Xbox 360 or Wii U if you want in on the action.
In the meantime though, we’ll be doing a stream with who we’ve got showcasing a number of Sega Saturn games. Including a number of Sega’s lesser known mascots, some real oddities and more. We’ll be kicking things off around 4PM Central, an hour earlier than originally planned. Hope to see you there for the usual whimsy, banter and of course, the games.
It’s out there.
Sega Channel exclusive no more! Sega and Capcom are teaming up to bring you not only Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Super Street Fighter II, you also receive a copy of Mega Man – The Wily Wars which featured Mega Man 1, 2, 3 and an exclusive mini-game under one package.
Given the history of portable Genesis/Mega Drive units produced by At Games and Blaze who have also released other ___ Sega games in one Mega Drive units such as the Firecore, also known as the Blaze Sega Mega Drive, it’s highly likely all the games in the package will also suffer a number of sound and graphical emulation errors. You won’t be getting the perfect experience playing the game, but at least it’s on the go and has 37 games from Sega, 3 games from Capcom and 40 other unannounced titles. The unit is scheduled for release on November 13th.
Happy 25th Anniversary Mega Man?
HACK DETECTED: The manual also shows that they’re still using an older Sonic 2 HD logo. I–should somebody tell them?