After the success of the Sonic Hacking Contest’s 15th anniversary last year the team is retaining changes made to the rules to strengthen quality control for the Sonic Hacking Contest 2018.
This year the contest will be accepting hacks and mods for Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces for trophy eligibility. Last year these entries were denied trophies due to the short time available for development of mods and tools for these titles. Now these entries will be able to match the same levels of acceptance of other ROM hacks and mods for games such as Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on Game Gear, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World and more.
The contest week is set for Monday through Sunday, 26th of November to the 2nd of December. To learn more about the rules and trophy guidelines you can check out the thread of the announcement on our forums here. Don’t forget to check out the contest’s new website which hosts entries from previous years by visiting sonichacking.org.
[Source Topic: Sonic Hacking Contest 2018]
In case you hadn’t heard, the Really Amateur Games Expo is back once more! And that leaves us with one all important question…. what is this year’s theme? Hit the jump below to find out!
RAGE (Really Amateur Game Expo) is, bar none, the greatest online convention in the history of the internet.
What is RAGE?
RAGE is a kind of, but not really, game jam, where creators can compete to produce the worst, goofiest fan game possible using whatever tools at their disposal. RAGE has always prided itself in having some of the worst games to ever exist, and we plan on continuing that tradition again this year. You can read more about RAGE on the wiki!
Are there like, rules or something?
You mean guidelines?
• Games need to stick to the theme, this is the most important requirement to note.
• Submissions need to be in by 11:59 pm CST on Friday, February 2nd.
• Send all RAGE submissions to [email protected]; submissions before January 28th will not be accepted.
• Games should really only be 5 – 10 minutes long. We’re not looking for an epic here.
• Feel free to use any engine/platform/program you like, just make sure it’ll run on modern day systems!
• If you don’t have something on hand, there’s trials of several commonly used programs, as well as free versions. Less experience might even help you here!
• Have fun with it! Sure you’re shooting for bad, but you’re wanting to make funny bad, like The Room or Birdemic of video games. (In other words, you’re aiming for humor, not just garbage.)
We’ll announce the theme of the game on January 28th. You have a short time to create and submit your game between there, so get ready to get crackin’! In the past, RAGE has been entirely for bragging rights (if you’re into that sort of thing) and making comical abominations. That’s all good and fun, but once again, we’re announcing a grand prize for RAGE’s first place winner:
A $50 Amazon Gift Card*!
We’ll be holding a livestream where we’ll play through every RAGE submission on the SAGExpo YouTube on Saturday, February 3rd at 7:00pm CST. Shortly thereafter, the RAGE site will go live so you too can witness the whiteness, with the RAGE winner announced on February 7th.
Brush up on your game making skills… or don’t! Either way, RAGE is back!
*Or your country’s equivalent of $50USD, should the winner be outside of the U.S.